There are three faculties at Rezekne Academy of Technologies (RTA): Faculty of Economics and Management, Faculty of Engineering, and Faculty of Education, Languages, and Design.
RTA faculties, three scientific institutes, and cooperating institutions promote the development of science and research, acquisition of new technologies, development and transfer to Latvian national economy.
On 28 August 1992, the 1stLatgalian Congress adopted the resolution in which the organization of the educational system, including the foundation of Rezekne Higher Education Institution (RHEI), was set as the priority of the region and the state. A working group was established to develop a concept for new higher education institution. With the support from The World Federation of Free Latvians, Ministry of Education and Science, as well as the municipality of Rezekne, the project of the new institution was implemented in a relatively short time.
RHEI was established on the basis of the branches of the University of Latvia and Riga Technical University. The idea of establishing the University of Latgale was supported by The Popular Front of Latvia (political organization in Latvia in late 1980s and early 1990s which led Latvia to its independence from the Soviet Union), the municipality of Rezekne, and the University of Latvia. On 1 September 1990, the first hundred students of LU Latgale branch started studies in economics and philology in the building of Rezekne Pedagogical School located on Atbrīvošanasaleja 115. In a year, Latgale branch got educational premises on Atbrīvošanas aleja 90 and serious work on recruitment of academic staff and infrastructure development was initiated.
According to the decision of the Council of Ministers of the Republic of Latvia (accepted on 12 April 1993) RHEI functioned as an independent higher education institution from 1 July 1993.
On 23 August 1994, the Cabinet of Ministers approved Irēna Silineviča for the position of the rector of RHEI. In 1999, RHEI acquired unlimited international accreditation and became an important cultural, educational and scientific centre in Latvia.
Working closely with local municipalities, RHEI developed country-wide projects such as the project of Rezekne Special Economic Zone. In cooperation with the Latgale Region Development Agency, professors of RHEI drew up a plan to develop Latgale region, drafted tourism development concept for Rezekne region and other projects.
History of higher education in Rezekne dates back to 1922 when the Pedagogical High School was established. In 1925, it was renamed as Rezekne State Teachers` Institute.
From academic year 1926/1927, Rezekne State Teachers` Institute implemented a five-year training programme, but since 1932/1933 - six-year programme. In January 1941, Rezekne State Teachers` Institute was reorganized and became a higher education institution – Rezekne State Pedagogical Institute with three faculties: Physics - Maths, History, and Russian language and literature. Rezekne State Teachers` Institute operated until 1944 when the building was destroyed in air strikes.
After the restoration of the building, Rezekne Pedagogical School was established (1947-1956). Between 1957 and 1987, there was Rezekne Boarding School. Pedagogical education traditions returned with the restoration of Rezekne Pedagogical School in 1987.
In 1991, Rezekne Teachers` Institute was established and in 1995 it was included in the RHEI.
Since the very beginning of the Republic of Latvia, institutions of higher education have had significant and important role in the development of Latgale region. Between 1925 and 1944, there was Rezekne State Teachers` Institute in Rezekne. Later, after restoration of the building, there was Rezekne Pedagogical School (1947 - 1956), Rezekne Boarding School (1956 - 1987), and then again Rezekne Pedagogical School (1987 - 1991). Since 1991, there was Rezekne Teachers` Institute which was incorporated in the RHEI as the Faculty of Pedagogy in 1995. The independent higher education institution revived when Republic of Latvia restored its independence in 1991.
In the summer 1917, Valerija Seile organized Latgale Teachers` Training Courses and the 1stLatgale Teachers` Congress. She was the first women in Latgale to acquire academic education.
On 25 October 1920, the Ministry of Education of the Republic of Latvia organized one-year teacher training courses in Rezekne. On 1 January 1922, these courses were transformed to Rezekne Pedagogical School by the Ministry of Education. The number of students reached 147, but in August 1925 Rezekne Pedagogical School ceased to exist. It was replaced by Rezekne State Teachers` Institute providing a five-year training course. The goal of the Institute was to prepare teachers for primary schools, kindergartens, general educational subjects of different courses, special schools and lower level vocational schools.
Mietule I. (2012). Rēzeknes Augstskola. Šuplinska I. (zin.red.) (2012). Latgales lingvoteritoriālā vārdnīca. Rēzekne: Rēzeknes Augstskola. 611.-614. lpp.
Unda, V. (1998). Rēzeknes Valsts Skolotāju institūts, 1925-1944. Rēzekne: Latgales Kultūras Centra izdevniecība.